Saturday, September 4, 2010

Full of Thanks

It's amazing to see the rise of various mission or daily happiness projects meant to spread the positivity that are documented online - i ♥ strangers, Operation Smiley Face, My Year In Haiku etc. Personally, I think it means that more people want to make this world a better place and they're starting with themselves... Inspiring, isn't it?

I'm thankul for coming across, being refered to or found by those amazing people behind these positively inspiring projects. Each such project is unique in its nature and each person behind it is someone you can get inspiration from. With that being said, I want to introduce you to another such person on a mission - Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes. Sandy was inspired by the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr, and what impressed me the most about Sandy's project is how serious she took it long before the project went public. The crane maker girl took enough time (a year or so!) to carefully choose the best 1000 positive and inspiring words to put on each of her paper cranes! Yesterday marked the release of the Thankful Crane pictured above, read more about it here.

Photo courtesy of Sandy.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for including my blog in this wonderful list of inspiration. For me, writing a haiku a day is a way to pause and see/appreciate the beauty around me. Another way of being thankful, I guess.

    Going to read about the paper cranes now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your comment :).. and I know exactly what you mean, in March I was searching for Chanel's particulière.. which was sold out... everywhere.. I think it's insane even the new colour "strong" (which seems to be a mix of particulière and vendetta) is sold out yet.. and actually, don't you think it's something like an advertising strategy? I can't believe that every new colour's such a success...

    PS: Mavala has some "Chanel-varnish-fakes" like I call it.. haha.. check out Auquamarine... it's really similar to the Chanel nouvelle vague.. (and much more cheaper, I found it after I bought the Chanel varnish...what a pitty)

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mavala-Polish-Mini-Colour-Aquamarine/dp/B003XYWR4W/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1283606805&sr=1-49

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's inspiring :) i do a lot of origamis and i had an idea...it would be to let some origami in public places with messages. I wouldn't be there to see people's faces but i know their day would be better!

    But now i want to read it!

    (i shouldn't say this here cause it's a surprise but i'm doing a flower bouquet all in origami for a special person i met during my night classes :) she's sort of "my adoptive mom")
    I have almost 25 yellow flowers on my desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol now i realize the origami crane project is almost what i have tought to do. But i didn't knew this project neither the book!
    I understand what you say when we...ordinary people are trying to make this world a better place, we think diferent, we stop seeing what's worse and focus on better things.

    It's kind of a life style already isn't it?
    It makes part of our lifes and of us we don't even think about what we're doing anymore cause it's "us" already. And it's such a great feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thankful to be included in your list of sites! Operation Smiley Face allows me to express my passion for kindness and giving. Like you I am so inspired to see new sites/blogs everyday that share that passion. I love what your doing with your thankful project, as I feel that gratitude is a big key to happiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. really inspiring julia! reading about the paper cranes now :)


    ☆ definitely, maybe ☆

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..ooh Julia , project like yours are so necessary for the world , for all the people to see good and be thankful for everyday things around ..you made look at things differently , I love your blog , it's one of my favorites ever : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's awesome! I like your little project because the little things you seem to post about are so abstract and wonderful. Helps me appreciate it too. I read Sadako in 4th grade and loved it, what a tender story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thankful for blogs like yours that remind people to take a little time each day to be thankful. <3

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to connect and share your thoughts, so thank you for your comment! And while you're at it... Why not tell me what you're thankful for today? ;-)